Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Viloria: Champion at Heart

I have a new sought after hero: Brian Viloria, 24.

Brian Viloria. World Champion, Light-Flyweight Division.

I am so proud of you. You have the heart of a champion! You pay homage to your land and give credit to your opponent; very honorable!

First:
Your best lines for me: "Mabuhay, Pilipinas!" [Long Live Philippines]
"Aloha, Hawaii!"
"Mahal kita, Philippines!" [I love you, Philippines]

Second:
You gave tribute to Ruben Contreras, your opponent who went to coma last May after having knocked out by the same punches; on the very same arena. That is very heart-warming. I want to quote your statement on Contreras:

"I almost choked when I saw Ruben at ringside. I almost cried but had to hold it back... I was real glad to see him. And seeing him out there meant more to me than winning the world title." [The Philippine Star, 12 September 2005]

Lovely. Very honorable. I salute you. Fighters like you make me more drawn to this kind of sport; despite the fact that it has its own language of 'cruelty'. You earn respect by giving one.

Thanks, Viloria. You add pride to us Filipinos again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home