Monday, September 12, 2005

Proud to be Filipino!

Yes I am.

Sunday morning, three Filipinos made our country proud by winning three-in-a-row in the event tagged “Double Trouble”, putting on the spotlight the fights of Manny Pacquiao (Philippines) and Velasquez (Mexico) vis-à-vis Erik Morales (Mexico) and Raheem (?), respectively. YES, I AM TALKING ABOUT BOXING.
---
I am a boxing fanatic, if not the sport addict. Being an Oscar de la Hoya fan runs in my blood; as much as I have devoted myself to supporting my fellow Filipinos. I missed the first fight where a kababayan (fellow Filipino) named Bautista won against his opponent in the third round. TKO. I wish I saw it, but I’m happy to hear the good news. [Can’t wait to read the newspapers!]

What really impressed me was Brian Viloria, who made the Philippine flag sway in the air before the first round was over--after barely two minutes inside the ring. Yes, another TKO. My heart leaped as I watched him raise our flag. Then, with all passion and splendor he cried, “MABUHAY, PILIPINAS! MAHAL KITA, PHILIPPINES!” Believe me, I was covered with goose bumps! He really brought honor to the land, far greater, because he meant it with all his heart; considering that, I believe, he is Hawaiian-born and speaks slang English! I wish to see a lot of Filipinos bringing honor to our land—and someday, myself too!

And the main event, for us of course, is Manny Pacquiao’s bout. He finished the fight with a splendid win in the sixth round, causing his opponent to stand on his fours. It was a pretty good fight, except that I was nervous with the first two rounds watching Manny giving barely few punches. As expected, he’s learning his opponent’s fighting style, the proper distance, etc., and coming up with a good formula. Thank God! You made us proud once more! Keep it up!

The last fight was Morales vs. Raheem. Filipinos wanted badly to have a rematch between Pacquiao and Morales and this bout will decide if that's the case. Unfortunately, Morales loss to Raheem, giving away his belt and perhaps the possibility of a rematch with Pacquiao. We'll see what will happen.

To our new-day heroes: Thank you so much! MABUHAY KAYO! WE’RE SO PROUD OF YOU! Soar Philippines!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home